Sunday, July 03, 2005

Freelancer for hire...

Freelancer: the medieval term for a mercenary, a "free lance," which literally described a knight who was not attached to any particular lord, and could be hired for a given task.

On Saturday and Sunday (July 2nd and 3rd) in Scio, Oregon; I was shooting photos at a herd dog trials show. Lucky Critters Photography needed a fill-in photographer, and wanted to give me a try out as a freelancer. It was a lot of fun! Spent about 6 hours each day shooting with a camera with huge lens (a Canon EOS 20D with 70-200mm 2.8f lens) - running around outside the herding course to get best angles, and running back to the Lucky Critters tent with memory sticks full of photos. Got a little sun burned, and it's a good thing I do a lot of mountain biking - got my excercise!

The positive comments from dog handlers who viewed their photos after their runs were great to hear. There was also an artist that had a booth there at the show also, and when she asked how long I'd been a professional photographer, and I said "well, let's see... about 2 days now!"... She was blown away. Basically, I try to frame shots well - I try to make them compelling/interesting. Something you'd want hanging on your wall or as your desktop wallpaper/screensaver. We sold a bunch of photos and CD's at the show (Lucky Critters burns the CD's and makes the prints on-site within minutes after the dog/handlers run). The two days of "work" was worth it (I'd have done if for free (shhh!), but a split of the sales is all gravey)!

They'll be putting up the photos I took on their event photo gallery at some point. When they do, I'll post a link to it here so ya's can check out the pics I took.

Now, they have asked me if I'll be a back up photographer for them on a permanent basis. So that's fairly exciting! I said "SURE!". Can't wait for the next event!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home