Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Banff Mountain Film Festival - World Tour

A person I work with had a couple extra tickets to the Banff Mountain Film Festival up in Portland, and Wendy and I decided to go with them tonight. The venue was at the "Bagdad Theatre & Pub" an old renovated theatre in southeast Portland. They screened about 6 different independent short films on extreme sports. One on "Daughters of Everest" (Sherpa women) who were the first women ever to summit Mount Everest, one on Kyaking (more like riding a kyak over huge waterfalls!), one on a group attempting to paraglide across the Andes (into Argentina).

Psicobloc (about free climbing with the ocean as their "fall pad" 60 feet below)

Chasing the White Demon (extreme white water kyaking)

Soul Purpose (skiing and snowboarding)

Daughters of Everest - this one was my favorite and this links to the highlight of that film (when one of their team makes it to the top - they were the only team to summit Everest that year!)

...and others. (including one called "Heavy Fork" that was just a 12 year old crashing a lot on his freeride bike - I didn't like it - kinda set the wrong example of what freeriding is about. *shrug*)

Kinda wish I'd known about this film festival. I could have entered a version of my own Local Progression Freeride video. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home