Monday, August 15, 2005

Freelance at Agility competition (Brownsville, OR)...

In the Zone Photography partnered with Lucky Critters to provide event photography services at a Willamette Agility Group (WAG) Agility competition over the weekend of August 13th (both Saturday and Sunday).

After setting up tent and booth, Wendy and I started out early Saturday morning a bit shell shocked. There were HUNDREDS of dogs in the competition and they were running them non-stop. I'd fill a compactflash card with a 200-300 photos and sprint back to the tent to hand it off and then, while I sprinted back for the ring, I'd snap a fresh card in place and format while getting back into position with good angle. My legs are sore today.

They had several different types of competitions including Steeplechase, Rally, and Snooker. I was shooting the pro ring, and the handlers and dogs were unbelievable! It was amazing to see.

My fingers went numb on Saturday (repeatitive strain) - they're still numb today - a 5 pound lens starts to feel heavy by mid-afternoon when it's close to 100 degrees. We came back on Sunday morning, and did it all again. But we had a good workflow by that time. I'd write down the ending file number of dog that just ran on run sheet, snap a "marker" photo of handler and dog before they started their run... so when I handed off the full compactflash card to Wendy back at the tent, she'd be able to split them up into folders easily. There was literally no time to remove cap from pen - it wasted seconds, so I left the cap off... I was always hoping the handler would call out the dogs name so I knew for certain I was writting down the file number for the right dog.. They tended to juggle the run order at the last minute, so I had to scramble to get in sync with the updated run sheet sometimes.

Between the two rings and two photographers, we shot around 6,000 photos. 8 - 10 MB each shot. We sold a decent number at the event, but not as many as expected. It was disappointing that a lot of people didn't even come to the tent to review their photos - there were some really good ones. But agility people come to compete, win ribbons and get a title for their dog...

Lucky Critters is still post-processing the pictures, and they'll hopefully have them up on their web server later this week. I'll make some picks for my portfolio and post a link to them here.

There were some really incredible shots. Tunnels, jumps, tires, A-frame, weave poles... crisp action shots of dogs flying thru the air with paws up, SOARING, head turned in mid-air looking for their handlers cue for next command... kicking up turf as they carved an arc out of the landing-- streaking towards the next obstacle... smiling!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home